Drink driver who led nine police cars in 90mph chase is jailed

PUBLISHED: 13:07 11 April 2018 | UPDATED: 15:55 11 April 2018

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd.

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd.

copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434

A drink driver has been jailed after he led police on a 22-mile chase from Great Yarmouth to Norwich reaching speeds of up to 90mph and crashed into a police car.

Tony Adams, 27, at one point had nine police vehicles involved in his pursuit and managed to write-off a police BMW when he crashed into it trying to get away, Norwich Crown Court heard.

John Morgans, prosecuting, said the pursuit began in the early hours of February 25 this year after Adams was spotted driving without lights on Marine Parade, in Great Yarmouth, and refused to stop for officers.

Mr Morgans said during the chase, Adams went through a red light and reached speeds of up to 50 to 60mph in a 30mph zone along Caister Road in a bid to get away.

Mr Morgans said Adams then went down the A47 Acle Straight and at one point stopped for officers near the Postwick slip road, but drove off again colliding with a police BMW which was written-off. He was finally arrested after police deployed a stinger device near the Thickthorn roundabout.

Mr Morgans said that Adams was found to be three times over the drink drive limit and his previous convictions include 10 offences of driving while disqualified, three offences of driving with excess alcohol, two aggravated vehicle taking offences and one dangerous driving offence.

Mr Morgans said Adams told police he had been out drinking with friends in Great Yarmouth on the night he was stopped. Adams, formerly of New Road. Littleport, who appeared via video link from prison admitted dangerous driving on February 25 and was jailed 14 months and given a three and half year driving ban.

Judge Maureen Bacon told him: “You are behaving like a delinquent teenager not someone approaching 30.”

She said he should “wise-up” and said he had put other road users lives at risk as well as his own life in peril.

She said fortunately no one was injured but warned him that if he had killed anyone he would be facing being locked up for a long time.

She said he had led police on a 22-mile pursuit involving nine police vehicles and had written off a police car.

Melanie Benn, for Adams, said he deserved credit for his guilty plea.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press