Driver jumped red light and smashed into Mini as he fled police

PUBLISHED: 15:01 26 September 2018 | UPDATED: 15:01 26 September 2018

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd.

Norwich Crown Court. Picture Adrian Judd.

copyright of Archant © 2010 01603 772434

A Norwich driver wrote off a woman’s Mini in a crash as he sped through residential streets to escape from police, a court heard.

Toni Geddes, 39, jumped red lights and careered into the car at junction on Unthank Road in Norwich, the city’s crown court was told.

Uninsured Geddes, who has 31 convictions for 64 offences, refused to stop for police and tried to get away, according to Martin Ivory, prosecuting.

Mr Ivory, said that fortunately the driver of the Mini was not seriously injured but suffered severe bruising to her chest, arms and back and her neck suffered whiplash injury.

He said that the fact her car, which was worth about £2,000, was a write-off left the victim without a vehicle and caused her and her family a lot of distress and inconvenience as in a statement she said she lived in a village in the “middle of nowhere” with no public transport.

He said the victim had been driving about 15 years and this was the first time she had been involved in an accident.

He said that Geddes was on licence at the time of the driving offence.

Geddes, of Charlton Road, Norwich, admitted dangerous driving on August 24.

Judge Anthony Bate jailed him for eight months and imposed a 16-month driving ban, ordering Geddes to take an extended test before getting back behind the wheel.

He said: “You drove fast along residential roads in the south west of Norwich.”

He said that his driving had ended up with him colliding with a car on Unthank Road after jumping red lights and said: “Happily the driver was not badly injured but it put her to substantial inconvenience because of her car being hit by an uninsured driver.”

Judge Bate said the victim was living in a rural area where public transport was sporadic and said: “It caused a great deal of problems.”

Ian James, for Geddes, said that he had panicked at the situation as he knew he should not be driving but had agreed to run someone to a supermarket to do some shopping.

He said that Geddes had since written a letter of apology to the victim which was handed in at court. He said that on his release Geddes planned to go and live with his sister.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press