Search

Detectives sift through 300 hours of CCTV to solve Norwich ‘suspicious’ death mystery

PUBLISHED: 10:24 20 June 2015 | UPDATED: 12:36 20 June 2015

Sergiusz Meges, whose body was found in a Norwich underpass. Pic: Norfolk Constabulary.

Sergiusz Meges, whose body was found in a Norwich underpass. Pic: Norfolk Constabulary.

Submitted

Detectives have revealed they are trawling through about 300 hours of CCTV footage in a bid to find vital clues as to what happened to a 29-year-old homeless man whose body was found in a Norwich underpass.

Police have named the man as Sergiusz Meges, known locally as Sergio, who had previous addresses in both Norwich and Thetford, had a Polish and Ukrainian background but had recently been homeless in the Norwich city centre area.

The last confirmed sightings of Mr Meges are at around 8.45pm on Tuesday, June 9 in the St Stephen’s subway.

At that time it is thought he was wearing several dark coloured tops including a dark grey hooded top.

While there is not CCTV of the subway itself, Detective Chief Inspector Tracey Little from the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team, who is leading the investigation, said work was “ongoing” to sift through “extensive” CCTV of the area near to the underpass which is believed to total about 300 hours.

Det Chf Insp Little, who revealed they have about 35 officers currently working on the case, said they desperately needed to find out more about his final movements - and hear from those who saw him in between the times he was last seen and when his body was found at 7am on Wednesday, June 10.

She said: “We believe there are other significant witnesses who have not yet made contact with us. This includes a couple in their late 20s/early 30s who were leaving the subway at around 8.45pm on Tuesday, June, out of the St Stephen’s Road exit. They would have passed a woman heading into the subway in the opposite direction.

“In addition, we continue to appeal to the male teenager, possibly a college student, who passed Sergiusz in the subway at around 5am and later returned to buy flowers from the flower stall by the subway to leave inside.

“It is important to both the investigation and to Sergiusz’ family that we find out exactly what happened to him. Even if you believe your information may be insignificant, anything that helps us to piece together Sergiusz’ final movements could help us find out what caused his death.”

Police have also released a poster of Mr Meges as part of the appeal to find witnesses who might yet hold the key to establishing how this young man met his death on the streets of Norwich.

Rumours that Mr Meges had been attacked before in the city have also been heard by police although Det Chf Insp Little said the scenario of him being assaulted was just one of the lines of inquiry and insisted it was “not a murder inquiry” but a “suspicious death inquiry”.

She said that while the deceased’s body had been found with “some minor injuries” there was nothing to initially suggest he had been assaulted.

The initial post-mortem examination showed there had been internal bleeding although the cause of the bleeding was not known which led to a second post-mortem, from a Home Office pathologist who identified the source of the bleeding as being two lacerations on the spleen.

That discovery prompted the launch of a suspicious death inquiry.

Mr Meges’ details were finally released after detectives made contact with his mother late on Thursday night.

Det Chf Insp Little said: “She lives abroad and is extremely shocked by this. She has spoken to her son in previous months and to say its come as an incredible shock is probably an understatement.”

Police are however still trying to establish whether Mr Meges has any other family members, whether at home or abroad,

Anyone with information can contact the Major Investigation Team on 101.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press