81-year-old due in court charged with wife’s murder at care home
- Credit: Peter Walsh
An 81-year-old man accused of murdering his wife at a care home is due in court in Norwich today (Thursday).
Doreen Virgo, 89, was found dead at the Grays Fair Court care home in Costessey on Friday, July 12, where she was staying for respite care.
Her husband Mick Virgo, with whom she lived in Mill Street, Buxton, was charged with her murder following a Home Office postmortem examination which showed Mrs Virgo had died following compression of the neck.
Mr Virgo is due to appear at Norwich Crown Court today (Thursday) in relation to the alleged offence following an earlier appearance at Norwich Magistrates Court.
People living in Buxton, a village between Norwich and Aylsham, spoke of their shock and sadness at what had happened.
Neighbours said Mrs Virgo was a "lovely old lady" who would be missed by those who knew her.
You may also want to watch:
Police are continuing their investigations into the incident. Anyone with information should contact the Joint Norfolk and Suffolk Major Investigation Team on 101 quoting Operation Shorne.
Norfolk County Council said staff and residents at Grays Fair Court, where it is believed Doreen Virgo was a resident, were being supported by the care home's management team and the council's wellbeing service.
- 1 Pedestrian suffers life-threatening injuries in A47 crash
- 2 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 5 Why this Norfolk village is one of the best in the UK
- 6 Air ambulance called and A47 closed after incident
- 7 Man airlifted to hospital with serious head injuries after fight near pub
- 8 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 9 Fire crews still at scene as investigation launched into house blaze
- 10 Jailed this week: Abuse, assaults and burglaries