Clive Lewis on Prince of Wales stabbings: ‘This is a systemic problem’
- Credit: Archant
Following a triple stabbing in the heart of the city centre this weekend, Clive Lewis has said harsher punishment for the crime is not the answer.
The MP for Norwich South, the district which includes Prince of Wales Road where the altercation happened, said: “My heart goes out to the families and the men who were hurt this weekend.
“I know a lot of people will read these stories and will want more punitive punishments for those who committed such crimes. They’ll want to see more police on the streets.
“I understand that, but we can see from other countries which have taken this course of action that this does not work.
“We need to be looking at the root cause of the problem. About why people feel they need to behave in this way.
You may also want to watch:
“Knife crime is a systemic problem – we need to address the poverty which might drive people to behave like this.
“I know this might not be what parents want to hear when it comes to keeping their children safe – but it is the best way we can protect our sons and daughters.”
- 1 Woman who died in A47 collision named
- 2 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 3 WATCH: Cars float on high tide in north Norfolk
- 4 RAF Marham Royal Navy sailor jailed for raping colleague while she slept
- 5 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 6 Sisters-in-law glowing after opening high street tanning salon
- 7 Nicole Kidman donates £10k to Norfolk dad's charity walk
- 8 Farm shop owners 'absolutely thrilled' at national award
- 9 'Neighbours ran outside screaming' during street fight in Golden Triangle
- 10 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town