Armed police arrest two men and seize firearm in Norwich city centre drama
- Credit: Luke Powell
Armed police have arrested two men in their 20s and seized a firearm following an incident in Norwich city centre.
The drama unfolded shortly after 5.10pm today (Tuesday, April 17) at Rigby Court, between Bethel Street and St Giles Street.
Specialist officers were deployed following concerns about the behaviour of two men in possession of a firearm inside a property.
Witnesses described hearing the men being ordered out of a building on Rigby Court 'with their hands up'.
Police said an air rifle was seized and two men were arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm with intent to cause fear or violence.
You may also want to watch:
A 39-year-old woman, who did not wish to be named, said people living in flats on Bethel Street were told to close their windows.
She said: 'I just looked out of the window and thought 'oh my god, guns' because you don't see that very often around Norwich.
- 1 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 2 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 3 What each lockdown tier could mean for Norfolk
- 4 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 5 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 6 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 7 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 8 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?
- 9 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 10 Woman airlifted to hospital after crash
'We heard them [police] giving demands for someone to come out with their hands up.
'The police saw us looking out and said to shut our windows and stand back.'
The woman said the two men who were arrested did not look like 'typical' criminals.
Another witness, who lives opposite the scene, said two men had been shooting cans in their garden with an air rifle.
Small crowds gathered around the police cordon at St Giles Street and Bethel Street, as armed officers waited at either side of the Rigby Court alleyway.
Shortly before 7pm officers emerged from a property carrying a box and placed it in the back of a police vehicle.
Two men were then handcuffed and led away.
Inspector Lou Provart said: 'Officers were called to an address in Rigby Court just after 5.10pm to reports a man had been seen inside the property with what was believed to be a firearm.
'Specialist officers were deployed to the scene and two men were arrested a short time later.
'The two men, aged in their 20s, have both been arrested on suspicion of possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence.'
Insp Provart stressed that air rifle owners need to be 'responsible' and only use them in a safe environment.
He said: 'Air weapons look very similar to firearms. You must be a responsible owner and use them only when in a safe environment where you give due regard to the safety of others around you.'
• Witnesses should call Norfolk Police on 101