Man left partner with permanently scarred face after knife attack

PUBLISHED: 17:45 21 October 2019 | UPDATED: 17:45 21 October 2019

Picture of Andrew Fearnley after he was jailed for arson in 2015. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary

Picture of Andrew Fearnley after he was jailed for arson in 2015. Picture: Norfolk Constabulary


A man permanently scarred his partner’s face in a knife attack, a year after he tried to strangle her, a court has heard.

Norwich Crown Court heard Andrew Fearnley's on/off partner had been on a hen night and had been "merry" before going back to Fearnley's address in Gorleston.

Jude Durr, prosecuting, said things "got heated" and she left to go to her mother's address nearby after she had been pushed and struck in the face by Fearnley.

She thought she had been punched but Fearnley had slashed her in the face with a knife resulting in serious injury to her nose.

The victim was left with a permanent scar.

Police were quickly on scene after officers were dispatched following an earlier call from Fearnley describing how the victim had smashed a window at his property.

The court heard an impact statement from the victim who described feeling "sick" and "devastated" after being shown CCTV of the incident.

She said he had an "evil look" on his face before the attack which left her needing medical treatment which was "worse than childbirth".

Fearnley, 54, of Drudge Road, Gorleston, appeared in court for sentencing on Monday after previously admitting wounding with intent following the incident on June 29.

The court heard the slashing came a year after Fearnley was sentenced for a battery against the same victim who had been strangled until she blacked out.

It was one of Fearnley's 17 previous convictions for 25 offences, which also included two previous "revenge" arsons.

Imposing an extended sentence of five years and 10 months custody and four years on licence Judge Andrew Shaw assessed Fearnley as being a dangerous offender who was a high risk of causing serious harm to the public.

He said: "You went to her mother's house, you armed yourself with a knife and you slashed her on the face."

Danielle O'Donovan, mitigating, said he does not remember the incident but has "thrown his hands up to it".

She said it was clear there was "significant remorse" from Fearnley, who is an alcoholic who was still struggling to come to terms with the death of his mother in August last year.

Fearnley was also made the subject of an indefinite restraining order.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Eastern Daily Press. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Comments have been disabled on this article.

Most Read

Latest from the Eastern Daily Press