5,000 unsafe cigarettes seized from shop after reports they were being sold to schoolchildren
- Credit: Archant
A large quantity of illegal tobacco and 'unsafe' cigarettes have been seized from a shop in Dereham after concerns that they were being sold to schoolchildren.
Norfolk County Council Trading Standards and Breckland Police worked together to seize around 5,000 unsafe cigarettes and 1.5kg of illegal tobacco, as well as some cash, throughout the day on Thursday, April 11.
The retail value for the seized items is estimated at around £3,100, with the potential evaded duty on the items approximately £1822.
Investigations are still ongoing.
The operation took place following a number of pieces of intelligence relating to the shop, which included reports of sales of cigarettes to children in school uniform.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesperson for Breckland Police said officers were there to assist Trading Standards in its investigation and no arrests were made.
On Twitter, Norfolk County Council Trading Standards said: 'Great joint working yesterday in Dereham with Breckland Police seizing illegal tobacco.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 4 Hospital confirms two patients have died from Covid
- 5 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 6 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 7 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 8 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 9 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
'This was following complaints it was being sold to children in school uniform.
'You can report illegal tobacco or underage sales to us on 03454 04 05 06 or to the Police on 101.'
Illegal tobacco is a term used to describe either counterfeit versions of popular cigarettes and hand rolling tobacco brands, products legitimately available in other countries smuggled into the UK or products made exclusively for the illicit market.