Crashes on A47 and A11 outside Norwich this morning as overnight snow and hail causes travel problems
- Credit: Archant
Two people have been taken to hospital after an accident on the A47 eastbound slip-road at the Thickthorn Roundabout.
The accident happened at 7.42am, and was originally thought to involve four vehicles, but it is now believed just two vehicles were affected.
One car ended up on the bank while a van with a trailer was also involved.
The East of England Ambulance Service (EEAST) attended with two crews and an ambulance officer, while a passing community first responder also helped, according to an EEAST spokesman.
They treated one woman for chest, head, and back pain, while the other person had neck pain.
You may also want to watch:
Neither of the injuries are thought to be life-threatening, but both patients were taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.
Three crews from Hethersett, Carrow, and Earlham fire stations were called and released one person by using heavy rescue equipment.
- 1 Motorcyclist dies in crash on A11
- 2 GP surgery in special measures after inspectors find range of faults
- 3 Electric vehicle owners could have to pay £50 to run cables to cars
- 4 Driver dies in crash on A47
- 5 Indian restaurant in Norfolk nominated for two national awards
- 6 Vintage tractor enthusiast's prized collection goes under the hammer
- 7 Britain's poshest train returning to Norwich for Christmas lunch
- 8 Your favourite pub, café, restaurant and hotel in Norfolk revealed
- 9 Norwich bridal shop named among best in UK
- 10 Huge Christmas market returning to Norfolk Showground for 2021
Four minutes later, at 7.46am, there was a second accident nearby on the A11 near Ketteringham.
A motorbike and a car were involved, and the motorbike rider has suffered back-pain, according to a Norfolk Police spokesman.
Some oil has leaked onto the road, and two appliances from Earlham and Wymondham fire stations attended to make the scene safe.
The incidents have caused delays to journeys and bus services, with konectbus tweeting: 'Many of our services have been delayed this morning due to accidents on A11 at Thickthorn. We apologise for the delays.'
Both the A47 and A11 roads have reopened fully and delays are clearing.
The runway at Norwich Airport was also closed because of the wintry weather overnight. The closure has affected up to four flights this morning, which includes the 6.15am KLM service to Amsterdam.
Forecasters Weatherquest said today would be a windy day with showers, rain, and sleet, particularly in coastal areas. Temperatures will not be higher than 9C.
•Have you experienced travel problems caused by the snow? Email email@example.com