Crane death inquiry may take two months

Investigations into how a Norfolk man was killed when a crane collapsed could take upto two months, it was revealed yesterday.The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Metropolitan Police are conducting a joint inquiry into the accident on a London building site last Tuesday.

Investigations into how a Norfolk man was killed when a crane collapsed could take upto two months, it was revealed yesterday.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) and the Metropolitan Police are conducting a joint inquiry into the accident on a London building site last Tuesday.

An inquest is expected to be opened on Thursday into the death of 37-year-old crane driver Jonathan Cloke, who used to live in Docking, near Fakenham, after he was thrown from the 160ft-high machine.

A post-mortem into the death of Mr Cloke, who lived in Guildford in Surrey, with his wife Joy and 16-month-old son Zion, found he died of multiple injuries.

The investigation will look at how the crane, owned by Falcon Crane Hire, based in Shipdham, near Dereham, collapsed onto a block of flats killing Mr Cloke and crushing 23-year-old Michael Alexa.

A spokesman for the HSE said it could be some time before the investigation was complete.

Most Read

She said: “The investigation is very through, they look at all the equipment, the paperwork, they will review every aspect of the incident.

“Our main concern is finding out whether anything could have been done to prevent this.”

Last week Mr Cloke's friends and employees paid tribute to him as a “big personality” with a “heart of gold”.

Frank Minal regional officer for Wandsworth for the construction workers' GMB union said he had serious concerns about how the crane was able to fall onto a member of the public.

Falcon employs 310 staff and is the second largest crane hire business in the UK.