Couples offered Town Hall alternative to library weddings in Great Yarmouth
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2011
Couples choosing a register office wedding in Great Yarmouth will now also have the more 'traditional' option of tying the knot at the Town Hall.
The move follows the closure of Gorleston's Ferryside register office two years ago amid concerns that the new library venue would not match the faded Edwardian splendour that had formed the backdrop for wedding snaps for 60 years.
Officials said they were proud of the library's air-conditioned rooms with all mod cons and that feedback was positive.
But figures reveal a 60pc slump in the number of matches from April to August last year – peak ceremony season.
Now under a new agreement between the county and borough councils, couples can book the plush Rambouillet Room directly with the registration service, avoiding the extra cost of paying for a registrar.
You may also want to watch:
Borough council spokesman David Wiles, said: 'Following the move from Ferryside in Gorleston to the Great Yarmouth Library in 2011, couples and their guests often mentioned that they missed the character and ambience of the former register office.
'The county and borough councils agreed they should try to offer a wider choice and the result is an arrangement giving couples the option to choose the Rambouillet Room at the Town Hall as an alternative, cost-effective marriage or civil partnership venue.'
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
The new arrangement comes into effect from September 16.
To arrange a viewing, call Laura Goodman on 01493 846125.