Couple told they no longer need to pay for repair work on ruptured gas pipe after reaching agreement with housing association

Barry and Kristy Jezeph by the pipe which ignited after it was severed by an angle grinder. Picture:

Barry and Kristy Jezeph by the pipe which ignited after it was severed by an angle grinder. Picture: Chris Bishop - Credit: Archant

A couple have been told they no longer need to pay for repairs of a ruptured gas pipe after reaching an agreement with their housing association.

The gas pipe encased in concrete which ignited. Picture: Chris Bishop

The gas pipe encased in concrete which ignited. Picture: Chris Bishop - Credit: Archant

Barry and Kristy Jezeph were having a patio installed in the back garden of their terrace property in Willow Road, Hunstanton, when an angle grinder being used by their builder to remove concrete cut through the pipe on Wednesday afternoon.

They were previously told by Freebridge Community Housing, who owns the house, that they would have to foot the bill for repairs because they did not have written permission.

But after the inspector returned today Mrs Jezeph, 31, produced paperwork dating back to 2009 which gave them permission to dig up the concrete in their back garden.

Firefighters at the scene of the gas leak in Willow Road, Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop

Firefighters at the scene of the gas leak in Willow Road, Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop - Credit: Archant

She added: 'It's a relief, it was getting to the point where we were getting anxious and worried.'

A spokesman from Freebridge said: 'We can confirm that we have been out to see the tenants again, and following further investigations have agreed that in this instance they will not have to pay for the repair work.'


You may also want to watch:


Sparks from the angle grinder set the gas alight and the couple called 999. Neighbouring homes were evacuated as firefighters made the scene safe.

The Jezephs rented home in Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop

The Jezephs rented home in Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop - Credit: Archant

'He was grinding it, it was all going fine and then all of a sudden there was a big ball of fire,' said catering worker Mr Jezeph, 32. 'He put the grinder down, thinking it was that. Then a 5ft jet of flame went up the side of him – it was a gas pipe nobody knew was there, it wasn't on the blueprint.'

Most Read

Receptionist Mrs Jezeph said: 'I called the fire brigade. They were here within 10 minutes, I can't praise them enough. They were here in rapid time and evacuated the area. The police were here, they were brilliant as well.

'They made us all go up the end of the road but they kept coming up and informing us what was happening. It could have gone so differently. When it was all going on my only thought was we're all safe.'

The Jezephs home in Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop

The Jezephs home in Hunstanton. Picture: Chris Bishop - Credit: Archant

Barry and Kristy Jezeph by the pipe which ignited after it was severed by an angle grinder. Picture:

Barry and Kristy Jezeph by the pipe which ignited after it was severed by an angle grinder. Picture: Chris Bishop - Credit: Archant

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter