Couple rescued from burning home

Firefighters rescued a young couple from their blazing home after the alarm was raised by neighbours.The man and woman, aged in their 20s, were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene of the fire in Harley Road, Yarmouth, but were not seriously injured.

Firefighters rescued a young couple from their blazing home after the alarm was raised by neighbours.

The man and woman, aged in their 20s, were treated for smoke inhalation at the scene of the fire in Harley Road, Yarmouth, but were not seriously injured.

Neighbours were alerted after a smoke alarm was activated by a cooker fire. The couple were asleep, but were rescued by firefighters.

Glen South, watch manager for Norfolk Fire Service, said: "The fact there was a smoke alarm in the property has saved this couple's lives.

"Our message could not be clearer - smoke alarms save lives."

The fire started at just after 1am on Saturday and caused serious damage to the kitchen.

Most Read

A spokesman said one crew concentrated on rescuing and treating the couple, while colleagues put out the flames within a few minutes.