Couple devastated after fire wrecks their home in Southery
Bernice Francis and her husband Edward have spent the start of 2016 salvaging what remains of their home, which was smoke-damaged in a fire during the early hours of New Year's Day.
They are now coming to terms with the fact that many of their possessions have been destroyed in the blaze - and none of them was insured.
Mrs Francis, 53, said: 'As we'd both been unemployed for a little while, we decided to cut back on a few things last year.
'We cancelled the television package, for example, and really had to watch our money because we had to go on benefits.
'But we also took a risk - and didn't take out any insurance on our home.
Struggling to hold back tears, she added: 'Right now, I really don't know how we're going to afford to get through this.
'We'd both managed to start new jobs in April. Just when our lives were going in a positive direction, we've been kicked back down again.
- 1 Fake chefs deliver out-of-date lasagne to Carrow Road ahead of Spurs clash
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Where the streets have no cars... the community that banned the school run
- 4 Driver caught hitting speeds of 119mph on A47
- 5 Homes destroyed after blaze breaks out in terraced housing
- 6 Investigation closed after cash stolen from popular attraction
- 7 Restaurant apologises after boy hospitalised with allergic reaction
- 8 Cyclist airlifted to hospital with serious injuries following incident
- 9 Crash closes part of B1145 in west Norfolk
- 10 Revamped 'hidden gem' restaurant hoping to put village on map for food
'Luckily we have great friends and family helping us through this.'
The grandparents were out welcoming the new year with loved ones when they had a call from the police to say their house was on fire.
Officers spotted the blaze had started while on patrol in Southery, near Downham Market, during the early hours of New Year's Day.
They called the fire service at around 1.10am and four crews from Downham Market, Methwold, Littleport and King's Lynn South attended.
The couple's two dogs, both four-year-old lhasa apsos named Charlie and Bella, were rescued from the house. Nobody was injured.
Bob Ayres, station manager for King's Lynn, said: 'The fire started in the workshop area attached to the home and crews worked hard to contain it there.
'It is difficult to identify the cause but it is believed to be the blow torch. The owner had been using it 24 hours previously, and we think that may have something to do with it.'
Mr Francis, 58, who now works for Norfolk County Council's 'Careline' said: 'Thankfully, everyone is fine but it is so difficult to see something that you worked so hard for completely destroyed.
'I used to be a builder and had a lifetime of tools stored in my workshop - it's all completely gone.'
The couple are now looking to move into temporary accommodation as soon as possible.
Have you had to pick yourself up after your home was destroyed? Email email@example.com