Councillors to debate reviving incinerator report

The proposed site of the incinerator at Saddlebow. Picture: Ian Burt

The proposed site of the incinerator at Saddlebow. Picture: Ian Burt - Credit: IAN BURT

Councillors will discuss whether to revive a report which was meant to examine the conduct of county councillors in relation to the axed Norfolk incinerator.

A contract to build an incinerator at Saddlebow was ripped up in 2014, costing Norfolk County Council £34m, and in April that year the independent review was ordered.

However, it was never published, and in June this year council leader Cliff Jordan revealed the plug had been pulled on the review.

A motion to Monday's full council meeting calls for the inquiry to be completed 'as soon as possible', and brought to council by March 1, 2017.

The motion, proposed by councillors John Dobson, Tim East, Andrew Boswell, Alexandra Kemp and Richard Bird, says: 'This Council wishes the discontinued Revell Inquiry to be completed as soon as possible and for its report to be brought to Council not later than 1 March 2017. The Inquiry should retain its original terms of reference, as laid down by the Leader of the Council (Cllr Nobbs) in April 2014. The work should be completed by a neutral, suitably qualified LGA or other nominee. In those few cases where parties to the Inquiry have declined to give evidence, the missing information should be derived from the Council's records.


You may also want to watch:


'The Inquiry should be formally recommenced and managed under the auspices of the Managing Director, who additionally should add recommended lessons to be learned to the completed report.'

Mrs Kemp said: 'The fight against the incinerator in South Lynn, from start to finish, was a fight for democracy. Norfolk's fight to run our own affairs, not to be tied up for 25 years in the fate of an overseas organisationrun solely for profit. We, Norfolk County Council, are not run for profit. We are run for the benefit of Norfolk and are accountable to Norfolk.

Most Read

'The Revell Report was commissioned to shine a light on how and why some sought to truss Norfolk up in a one-sided, expensive contract, which could never have benefited Norfolk, but which did cost us £33 million to free Norfolk from harm.

'So on Monday, Norfolk County Council should unanimously vote to continue, complete and publish the Revell Report. All concerned should, this time, give evidence honestly, willingly and freely, so that lessons can be learnt and such mistakes never ever repeated. The public expects no less.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus