Councillor proposes bus service from Brandon to new Thetford cinema
A councillor is looking at the possibility of setting up a special bus route to make sure film lovers can spend a night at the pictures.
Peter Ridgwell, Brandon Town councillor, is asking residents whether or not they would make use of a bus going from Brandon to Thetford when the new The Light cinema is completed this winter.
Provisionally picking up on Friday nights between 6pm and 6.45pm, Mr Ridgwell said the bus would charge £4 for adults and £2 for children.
'At the moment the last bus is at 7.10pm and people will have to drive or get a late train, which isn't always an option for young people.
'Hopefully this would provide them a way of getting there. What we need now is for people to get in touch with the town council to let us know if they would use it and when,' he said.
Mr Ridgwell took the idea to Brandon Town Council on Monday.
He said the bus would cost between £160 and £180, for six hours.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 4 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 8 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 9 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 10 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
With around £120 coming from tickets, he asked the town council to consider putting in around £20 a week for the bus.
He is also planning to ask The Light to pay £1 a passenger, with around 30 expected each week.
While also acting as a lifeline for movie fans, Mr Ridgwell said the scheme would address some of the concerns surrounding parking at the new Riverside site.
'There don't seem to be enough spaces there, especially as many will be taken up by staff, so this could help with that.
'It's also some guaranteed custom for the cinema so hopefully they will be keen,' he said.
What do you think of the idea? Email firstname.lastname@example.org