‘Outrageous and scary’ - councillor describes huge Hemsby blaze tackled by 95 firefighters
- Credit: Archant
A councillor and business owner has described the a large fire in Hemsby as 'outrageous and scary'.
James Bensly, whose borough council ward includes Hemsby and Winterton, also has a cafe on Beach Road where former holiday camp Pontins caught fire last night.
He said: 'I got a text from a neighbour saying there's been a fire at the Pontins site, and because I'm heavily involved in the industry at the bottom of that road I went out there.
'It was quite a shock to see the scale of it thankfully the local police were very good and got the roads sorted in conjunction with the fire service.
'The scale of the fire was ginormous. We have had numerous fires there but not one this scale.
You may also want to watch:
'It's becoming ridiculous now. How much is this costing to send the emergency services out? It's annoying for the tax payer to say the least.
'It was outrageous and scary. Thankfully no one was hurt, that's the main thing.
- 1 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 2 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 3 Driver in hospital after BMW car ends up in ditch
- 4 9 pubs and restaurants which have had lockdown makeovers
- 5 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 6 Lorry driver admits causing deaths of two people in A47 crash
- 7 Hospital opens new £625,000 cancer wellbeing and support centre
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Norfolk covid levels below national average but concerns raised about variants
- 10 Social distancing stops fish and chip shop's restaurant opening on May 17
'I remember when it was open and I am a strong believer that it could open still.'
At its height the fire was attended by 15 fire crews and 95 fire fighters.
Beach Road is also home to a quantity of businesses.
Councillor Bensly said: 'If the road was still shut in the day it would have a massively detrimental effect on us all, but thanks to the emergency services we are all open and ready to go.'