Council to spend £440,000 on Bungay town centre as one-way system is made permanent
- Credit: Archant
The controversial one-way system in Bungay is set to become permanent in the New Year as Suffolk County Council announces plans to spend £440,000 on improvements to the town centre.
The one-way system, which was introduced as a trial along Trinity Street, Wharton Street and St Mary's Street in September last year, was described as a 'disaster' by the Bungay traffic scheme opposition group who said it had been a waste of money that had damaged the town drastically.
However the county council says it is now a well established one-way system and has addressed problems with two-way traffic in the narrow streets around the town centre and congestion in St Mary's Street.
The improvements, which will also include a shared space area, resurfacing and new and wider footways, aim to improve access for everyone who lives, works and visits Bungay, while retaining some on street parking and loading bays.
Work will begin on January 6 and it is expected to take 14 weeks to complete.
You may also want to watch:
Mary Evans, Suffolk County Council's deputy cabinet member for roads and transport, said: 'These works will really lift the town of Bungay. It is important that works that are carried out will make a real difference to the people who use the area. By working with the town council and other local groups I feel we have come up with a scheme that will improve the area while retaining the elements that people found most important.
'We have also made sure that the improvements will be in keeping with Bungay's architecture and general feel of the area. There will be clear signs in place to let people know of any road closures or diversions that are needed. As with any scheme there will be some disruption but we are committed to minimising this as much as possible.'
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 4 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 5 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 6 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 7 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 8 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
- 9 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 10 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
The plans include making St Mary's Street a shared spaced area with courtesy crossing points, new footways and new paving, widening of existing pavements in St Mary's Street and Trinity Street and new footways in Wharton Street and Lower Olland Street, as well as a 'golden' gravel-rolled surface in the Market Place, which will complete the scheme.
Judy Cloke, mayor of Bungay, said: 'These works will be great for the town of Bungay. We have worked hard with the county council to make sure the scheme delivers the maximum benefit for the town. I look forward to getting the works under way so we can begin to enjoy all that the new and improved town centre has to offer all those that use the town centre.'
Plans for the improvements went on display at The Fisher Theatre in Bungay earlier in the year, before Suffolk County Council voted to make the one-way system permanent in June.
Before work begins, contractors will meet representatives from the town council, the local chamber of commerce and town centre businesses to talk through the works and how access to businesses and other town services will be maintained.
Members of the public are invited to have their say on the new plans at a meeting of Bungay Town Council on Monday night, held in the council chamber above the Waveney Council office in Broad Street. Anyone who wishes to speak needs to indicate their wish to do so a few minutes before the meeting starts.