Council earmarks 150 south Norfolk sites for homes
A list of 150 potential development sites has been drawn up for South Norfolk where 10,000 new homes could be built before 2026.
South Norfolk Council's cabinet approved the site specific policies and allocations development plan on Monday, which earmarks potential land in rural villages across the district from Aslacton and Great Moulton to Ditchingham and Brooke.
The council needs to find suitable sites for the 10,000 homes proposed for the South Norfolk area as part of the Greater Norwich area Joint Core Strategy.
However, a number of councillors raised concerns about the plans, including Beverley Spratt, who represents Aslacton, Bunwell, Carleton Rode and Tibenham.
In Carleton Rode, land off Flaxlands Road has been put forward as a possible site for housing but he was worried that unles a footpath was created to enable children to get to local schools, this would not be the best site.
You may also want to watch:
But Mr Spratt said: 'Why have some of the villagers' preferred sites been altered?
'The people of Carleton Rode don't understand why it is not close to the school, where there is a site. Why have they chosen a site that is miles away from the school.'
- 1 Indian variant Covid cases in Norfolk 'cause to be cautious'
- 2 Norfolk farmhouse with indoor pool for sale by online auction
- 3 Heavy downpours and strong winds to batter Norfolk
- 4 Man in 30s airlifted to hospital following serious fall
- 5 City poised for Maddison cash boost
- 6 Riverside pub welcomes customers again with new owners
- 7 Best bargain ever? Village hall for sale for £35,000
- 8 Man drowned after drifting out onto lake on air bed
- 9 Inquest into death of 22-year-old swimmer at Norfolk beauty spot
- 10 Staff at food firm receive £900 bonus each
However, the council's leader John Fuller said in the case of Carleton Rode, the village had been 'over-subscribed' with landowners coming forward to offer sites for development and 'not everybody could be lucky.'
Another councillor Murray Gray, who represents Alburgh and Denton, asked how many houses would be built if all the sites were approved and said he was worried that in some villages developments of 10 or 20 homes would simply be extending the 'ribbon' of the village along the road, whereas it would be better to have developments of that scale in market towns.
However, planning officer Tim Horspole said there would be sufficient land to meet the targets set by the joint core strategy.
And councillor William Kemp, who represents Thurlton, Aldeby and Haddiscoe, said he was concerned about plans to sub-divide the Waveney Applegrowers site in Aldeby rather than using the whole site.
However, Mr Fuller said if the land had been earmarked for 100 homes, but a developer was only proposing to build 20 homes, then it may be appropriate to sub-divide the site.
The rural village plan is the first step of a two stage process, with proposals in villages closest to Norwich, the market towns and larger parishes such as Hethersett, Costessey and Easton being announced next month.
A six week consultation will take place on this step and once sites are agreed, they will form part of the council's Local Development Framework with area action plans for Long Stratton and Wymondham. To see a full list of the proposed sites including maps, visit www.south-norfolk.gov.uk.