Could Great Yarmouth be getting a rollerskating rink?
- Credit: Eastern Daily Press © 2005
After putting the skids under a bid to bring the real ice rink back to Great Yarmouth for a second year the borough council is costing out this year's potential festive attraction.
Officers have been working out the pros and cons of hiring or buying a rollerskating rink to replace last year's Christmas showpiece.
A bid to bring an ice rink back was lost by one vote with Labour members saying it was hard to justify with people relying on food banks.
Now the focus is on wheels with members being asked if they want to buy or rent a roller rink for use over Christmas and the New Year.
Officers warn it could be seen as a 'poor substitute' to the ice rink enjoyed by thousands last winter and that figures may not stack up.
You may also want to watch:
Donna Wicks, at Retroskate, said the not-for-profit company would love to get involved.
Successful funding bids meant the seafront venue also had money to deliver additional activities, making it ideally placed to work alongside the council cutting its spend and using local expertise.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 5 Great-grandmother can't dance amid gallbladder operation complications
- 6 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 7 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 8 6 things to do as temperatures set to rise to 21C
- 9 Make it modern: Norfolk rectory goes up for sale after renovation
- 10 Norfolk County Council Elections 2021: Joy for Greens in Norwich
Jonathan Newman, of the Town Centre Partnership, sponsors of the ice rink last year, said: 'Having refused the opportunity to repeat the ice rink this year it does not seem to make any sense for the council to consider having a rollerskating rink at a similar cost, particularly as there is already provision in the town 52 weeks a year half a mile away.
'The ice rink offered a winter wonderland experience.'
The economic development committee meets on Monday in the Supper Room at Great Yarmouth Town Hall, 6.30pm.
Would you like to see a rollerskating rink as a substitute for last year's festive ice rink? Email EDPLetters@archant.co.uk and include full contact details.