‘It’s a mess’ - man without heating and hot water 11 days after lighting strikes flat
- Credit: Archant
A man whose flat was struck by lightning says he is still without hot water and heating more than 10 days later.
Dalton Hewitt-Haynes was at a family gathering watching the stormy weather unfold in Norwich with his nephews on Friday, October 18.
It wasn't until he returned home later that night that he discovered one of the lightning strikes had in fact hit his property on Worcester Road in Costessey, taking out his electricity, leaving a hole in his roof and frying some of his electrical goods, including his television.
Despite an initial flurry of visits and inspections, 11 days on, the 27-year-old is still without heating and hot water, and living with a hole in his roof.
While his electricity has been restored, he said he is still experiencing problems, with two power failures over the weekend forcing him to call out emergency engineers.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 5 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 6 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 7 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 8 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 9 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 10 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
He said he has contacted his housing association, Orbit housing, but claims to have had little information on a timeline for repairs.
The support worker said: "It doesn't seem like anyone knows what's going on.
"I've had four, five electricians out but things in the flat still keep going wrong.
"It's all a bit of a mess. It was quite windy this weekend and I could hear the wind and rain coming in through the hole. I could hear it blowing about things in the roof."
David Boden, head of property services at Orbit, said: "Lightning strikes can cause a lot of damage to homes and take a little bit of time to put right. However, the electrics have been fully repaired and we received the electric safety certificate last week (23 October).
"The spare parts for the boiler have now arrived and are being installed [on Wednesday]. While we have not received reports of any further damage to the property, we will liaise with Mr Hewitt-Haynes directly to ensure that all the work is completed."
Mr Hewitt-Haynes said he is having to save up to buy a new television, Xbox and speakers after they were broken by the lightning strike.
After the lightning strike, Mr Hewitt-Haynes said he had been "really lucky" to be out of the property, with the strike leaving scorch marks in the loft and some of the roof joists split.
He said his family gathering had been planned for earlier in the week, but had been moved to the Friday at last minute.