Coroner voices concerns about unlicensed boxing as jury concludes death of Kuba Moczyk was misadventure

Kuba Moczyk, 22, who died after a boxing match in Great Yarmouth in November 2016. Picture: Magdalen

Kuba Moczyk, 22, who died after a boxing match in Great Yarmouth in November 2016. Picture: Magdalena Moczyk - Credit: Picture: Magdalena Moczyk

A coroner has voiced concerns about unlicensed boxing as a jury concluded the death of a young fighter who was knocked unconscious in his first bout was misadventure.

Jakub Moczyk, 22, known to his friends and family as Kuba, was rendered unconscious by a punch to the head during the third round of his first public fight at the Atlantis Tower Arena in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

He died from his injuries in hospital two days later on November 21 2016.

Mr Moczyk's twin sister Magdalena earlier told the four-day hearing at Norfolk Coroner's Court in Great Yarmouth that medical cover was lacking.

'It was a total nightmare,' she said. 'Nobody seemed to be in charge or responsible.

You may also want to watch:

'Kuba didn't recover. He wasn't given any chance.'

The inquest was told that unlicensed boxing events were legal, but there were no minimum standards.

Most Read

Mr Moczyk's opponent, Irvidas Juskys, was 17 at the time

Norfolk's senior coroner Jaqueline Lake said: 'A number of issues have been raised by the evidence heard at this inquest, not least that such a high-risk event can be held where there's no set regulation and no set governing body.

'And the fact that youngsters under 18 can take part is even more concerning.'

She ordered a report to prevent possible future deaths in respect of Lifeshield Medical Services, which provided ringside medics at the event.

She said the firm had taken a 'relaxed approach to their role', and noted not every boxer had a medical examination on the night.

'I do feel their role within the sport is so important and I do feel they must be very proactive when it comes to a decision whether someone should fight or whether someone should continue to fight,' she said.

Mr Moczyk took a heavy blow in the third round and his head went back, but he raised his arms to the referee to indicate he could continue.

Seconds later he took a blow to the head and was knocked out.

Ms Lake said there should be a medical examination rather than relying on a non-medically qualified person to decide whether someone continues to box.

She said she also had concerns about risk assessments, but these were not sufficient to order separate reports.

She said she 'wholeheartedly' supported efforts by the local authority to raise awareness of the risks of unlicensed boxing.

Sarah Flatman, commercial team manager for Great Yarmouth Council, which is conducting a health and safety investigation into the incident, said: 'There do need to be minimum standards for boxing events. At the moment there aren't and standards vary.'

She said there were currently no standards about the minimum level of medical cover in unlicensed boxing and Ms Lake asked her what she would recommend.

'A minimum of a doctor and a paramedic, that's my view from my research,' said Ms Flatman.

Norfolk Police said no action was being pursued and nobody had behaved 'recklessly'.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter