Coroner backs plans to make A146 near Beccles safer after 17-year-old’s death
- Credit: Archant
A coroner has backed plans to make a busy stretch of road on the A146 at Stockton safer, after an inquest heard how a 17-year-old pedestrian was killed when he was hit by a car.
Allister Maguire Buck was crossing the road when he was knocked down at about 6.15pm on February 22.
Yesterday's Norwich inquest heard how the student had just seen his girlfriend off at the bus stop, and was walking home with his friend, Fergal Miller, who had just got off the bus. While Mr Miller waited in the middle of the road, after seeing a car approaching, his friend kept on walking and was hit by a BMW driven by Daniel Edwards.
The inquest heard there was nothing Mr Edwards could have done to avoid the collision. Mr Maguire Buck had either failed to react to the approaching car or misjudged the time he had to cross the road.
The inquest heard that, following the accident, police have recommended to the highways authority that a pedestrian refuge be built in the centre of the road to make it safer. The inquest heard there was a 60mph speed limit on the road, no street lighting and there were bus stops on either side.
Mr Maguire Buck, from Bungay Road, Stockton, was a popular student at Wymondham College who was looking forward to going to university, the inquest heard. Norfolk coroner Jacqueline Lake, whose conclusion was death due to a road traffic collision, endorsed the police recommendations. The cause of death was given as severe head and chest injuries due to a road traffic collision.
After the inquest, the family said: 'We would like to thank all those who have provided support, help and comfort over the last seven months. We are extremely grateful for this help, as we continue with the journey to reshape our lives into one without Allister. The family would like a special thanks to PC Richard Doughty.'
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Man in 20s drowned in country park lake
- 4 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 5 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner
- 6 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 7 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 8 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 9 Shock as cleaner finds a snake in house
- 10 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way