Popular charity Gala Day cancelled for first time since 1993
- Credit: Archant
A popular bank holiday gala day has been cancelled months before it was due to take place due to Coronavirus.
The Lowestoft Lions’ main charity event of the year, the Oulton Broad Gala Day was set to take place on August 31.
Team Gala spokesman Mark Lanham said: “It is with a heavy heart that we must annoucne this year’s Gala Day is cancelled.
“Following many discussions, and taking into consideration the government’s advice, while not knowing how long the restrictions on social gatherings will last, we have decided to cancel Gala 2020.
“Oulton Broad Gala Day is one of the biggest events in the Lowestoft Lions calendar each year, bringing a range of performances and activities.
You may also want to watch:
“While its cancellation has become inevitable, we are very disappointed that we will be unable to hold this much-loved event this summer.”
It is the first time the event has been cancelled since the Lions’ first show in 1993.
- 1 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 2 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Driver stopped by police - 20 minutes after being given court ban
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Widow fighting for wedding refund
- 7 Police break up house party with 28 people crammed into flat
- 8 New owners of popular park café set out vision for 'beautiful' venue
- 9 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old
Mr Lanham said; “We will, however, be re-evaluating the situation in early June to see if conditions have improved and if the ban on social gatherings has been lifted, or is likely to be, before August 31.
“It is also possible that social distancing could be here until after the summer, but if not, we will consider putting on a smaller, family fun day at Nicholas Everitt Park on the same day.
“Hopefully we will be back with our usual Gala Day again in 2021.”