Controversy on Twitter as Jason Manford tells fans it’s “difficult” to come to Norwich on tour
- Credit: Archant
Comedian Jason Manford caused a stir on social media after suggesting Norwich was a 'difficult' place to visit on tour.
The stand-up, who is best known for being a team captain on the Channel 4 panel show 8 Out of 10 Cats, released details of his 2018 Muddle Class tour this week, which features dates in Lowestoft and Ipswich, but noticeably excludes Norwich.
Local fans took to Twitter to share their disappointment surrounding the schedule, asking why the stand-up wouldn't be making an appearance in the fine city.
Manford responded saying: 'For Norwich fans, I'm trying but it's difficult as theatre there prefers long runs of shows rather than the one off nights comics can offer.'
This caused confusion as fans reminded him of the many comedians that have recently performed in Norwich, including Russell Brand.
Manford replied: 'I'm not saying Norwich never have one offs, usually has to be a Sunday and not one a week-long show needs as a get in.'
You may also want to watch:
People were prompt to point out other venues across the city which may have provided him with an extended run of his show, but the comedian dismissed the comments, asking 'But do I want to be in Norwich for a week or two?'
Norwich Theatre Royal has released a statement saying they are 'sorry Jason is upset about not being able to do shows in Norwich'.
- 1 The Chase star's tribute to contestant who died in Norfolk house fire
- 2 Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in country
- 3 New women's only fitness studio to open in Norwich
- 4 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
- 5 Part of A47 closed due to crash
- 6 School bus drivers 'risked children's lives' with illegal long shifts
- 7 Two people injured in A47 crash
- 8 Have 'murder hornets' been found in Norfolk?
- 9 ‘Can you let me off?’ pleads driver doing 90mph in 50mph zone
- 10 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
Jane Walsh, programming manager at the theatre, commented: 'Unfortunately we were not able to confirm available dates when the tour was being booked. Hopefully there will be a chance to welcome him here in the future.'
Norwich Playhouse has since joined the conversation on Twitter, asking the comedian to have his people get in touch with them as they'd 'love to have him'.
As well as appearing on 8 Out of 10 Cats, Manford has also presented numerous television shows for the BBC and ITV including Comedy Rocks, The One Show, Show Me the Funny and A Question of Sport: Super Saturday.