Consultation over plans to improve roads in Wisbech
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A consultation has been launched over a package for road improvements for Wisbech.
The Wisbech Access Strategy aims to increase local road capacity and reduce accidents while supporting future housing and job growth.
It includes replacing the staggered junction on the A47 at Broadend Road with a roundabout and another to improve the A47 Elm High Road roundabout.
Other projects include creating a southern access road linking New Bridge Lane and Boleness Road, improvements to the Weasenham Lane and Ramnoth Road junction and signalling improvements to the New Bridge Lane and Cromwell Road junction.
Additional projects, pencilled in to be delivered by 2026, include creating the southern section of a new western link road for Wisbech, relocating the A47 Elm High Road roundabout further east and improving Freedom Bridge roundabout and the bus station.
You may also want to watch:
Fenland District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council are asking the public for their views on the proposals.
The schemes were developed using £1m of feasibility study funding from the government, awarded via the Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).
- 1 Bar splashes out £500,000 on outdoor dining area
- 2 Top of the Pops dancer, Octopussy star and 'Lord' settles in Norfolk
- 3 Reduce your dementia risk with 7 lifestyle changes
- 4 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 5 Former car showroom could make way for 146 student flats
- 6 'This is nature' - Sadness as cathedral peregrine chick dies
- 7 'Vulnerable' Norfolk man missing from home
- 8 BBC Springwatch films at Norfolk nature haven - with beavers
- 9 Man exposed himself to three teenage girls at Morrisons
- 10 May 17 easing: What UEA virus expert will and won't be doing
The LEP has also agreed a further allocation of £10.5m from its Local Growth Fund to deliver five transport schemes by 2021.
The consultation runs until Monday, November 27 and includes three events where members of the public can find out more and fill-in a survey.
The events will be held on:
Monday, November 6 at Walsoken Village Hall (10.30am - 1pm and 3pm - 7pm).
Friday, November 17 at Wisbech Market Place (9am - 12noon).
Friday, November 17 at Tesco Extra, Cromwell Road (3pm - 7pm).
More information and an online version of the survey are also available at: www.fenland.gov.uk/wisbechaccess.
Paper copies are also available to view and complete at Fenland District Council's Wisbech @ your service shop, Tesco Extra, the Oasis Centre and Awdry House in Wisbech, Leverington Sports Club, Walsoken Church and Emneth Village Hall.