Consultation over plans to improve roads in Wisbech
- Credit: Matthew Usher
A consultation has been launched over a package for road improvements for Wisbech.
The Wisbech Access Strategy aims to increase local road capacity and reduce accidents while supporting future housing and job growth.
It includes replacing the staggered junction on the A47 at Broadend Road with a roundabout and another to improve the A47 Elm High Road roundabout.
Other projects include creating a southern access road linking New Bridge Lane and Boleness Road, improvements to the Weasenham Lane and Ramnoth Road junction and signalling improvements to the New Bridge Lane and Cromwell Road junction.
Additional projects, pencilled in to be delivered by 2026, include creating the southern section of a new western link road for Wisbech, relocating the A47 Elm High Road roundabout further east and improving Freedom Bridge roundabout and the bus station.
Fenland District Council and Cambridgeshire County Council are asking the public for their views on the proposals.
The schemes were developed using £1m of feasibility study funding from the government, awarded via the Greater Cambridge Greater Peterborough Local Enterprise Partnership (LEP).
- 1 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 2 Farmer says cousin's wedding venue will bring 'criminal activity'
- 3 Man dies of collapsed lung after 'busy' hospital meant x-ray was missed
- 4 WATCH: 'Unplayable' delivery from Suffolk bowler goes viral
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Norfolk garden centre wins 27th gold medal at Chelsea Flower Show
- 7 'It is a cash cow' - vicar's warning after being slapped with parking fine
- 8 Major road to close for resurfacing works costing £81,000
- 9 The best places to eat in north Norfolk according to The Good Food Guide
- 10 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
The LEP has also agreed a further allocation of £10.5m from its Local Growth Fund to deliver five transport schemes by 2021.
The consultation runs until Monday, November 27 and includes three events where members of the public can find out more and fill-in a survey.
The events will be held on:
Monday, November 6 at Walsoken Village Hall (10.30am - 1pm and 3pm - 7pm).
Friday, November 17 at Wisbech Market Place (9am - 12noon).
Friday, November 17 at Tesco Extra, Cromwell Road (3pm - 7pm).
More information and an online version of the survey are also available at: www.fenland.gov.uk/wisbechaccess.
Paper copies are also available to view and complete at Fenland District Council's Wisbech @ your service shop, Tesco Extra, the Oasis Centre and Awdry House in Wisbech, Leverington Sports Club, Walsoken Church and Emneth Village Hall.