Concerns for missing man, 72, after bag found on Beccles Marshes
Police are growing increasingly concerned for the safety of a 72-year-old man after his bag was found on Beccles Marshes yesterday afternoon.
Officers were contacted just before 5pm by a member of public reporting that his friend's bag had been found by fishermen and that he was concerned for the 72-year-old – Alan Thomas.
The friend had checked Mr Thomas's home address in Beccles and when he wasn't there police were called.
Officers immediately began a search from Mr Thomas – who is described as white, around 6ft tall, of medium build and wearing glasses.
Initial enquiries revealed that he had not taken medication he needs with him and many of his personal possession were inside the bag, which was found on a bank about 400 metres from the Beccles bypass bridge on the A146.
He was last seen by a neighbour around 10am yesterday but had not attended appointments made for the afternoon.
Police alerted the coastguard who mobilised three coastguard rescue teams and the inshore lifeboat, who searched for approximately four hours and then were relieved by the Suffolk Lowland Search and Rescue Team just before midnight.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 5 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 6 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 7 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 8 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 9 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 10 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
However at this stage no further trace of him has been found. Searches will be continuing this morning.
Anyone who may have seen him since 10am yesterday or anyone who may have information about where he is now is asked to call the duty sergeant at Lowestoft Police Station on 101.