Community to discuss future of the Marlpit pub in Norwich
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2014
The future of one of Norwich's few remaining local pubs will be discussed at a special public meeting tomorrow.
City councillors have organised the forum to allow concerned residents to share their views on the Marlpit Pub, Hellesdon Road, which has been closed since May, and for sale for two weeks.
Green councillors worked with the group Marlpit Pub Supporters to get it listed as an 'asset of community value' by the city council – the first pub in the city to be protected as such.
Owner Enterprise Inns has put it on the market, but must give the community a chance to bid for it first and six months to raise the cash – if the community decides to declare its interest.
Wensum ward city councillor Lucy Galvin said: 'This is an historic and truly local pub, one of the last – there are just two pubs left in the whole of Wensum ward now – an area of 8,000 people. We've lost five in recent years.
You may also want to watch:
'Local people tell us that the pub is a valued community space and they don't want to lose it.
'They have lots of ideas about how it can be revamped in exciting ways, and the meeting is about pulling together a community plan which can be used by whoever buys it, or to help the community bid for it.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 3 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 4 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 9 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 10 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
We have local stakeholders, and representatives of another community pub coming along.'
The meeting starts at 6.30pm at Marlpit community centre, Hellesdon Road, Norwich.