Community group insists Oulton Broad is open for business during gas works
- Credit: Oulton Broad Community Enterprise
Oulton Broad is still open for business despite ongoing gas mains work.
That is the message from the Oulton Broad Community Enterprise (OBCE), who fear some people may be confused due to work currently taking place on Bridge Road.
Andrew Page, vice chairman of the group, said: 'There seems to be a road closed sign on every street corner telling people to avoid Bridge Road and very few actually telling people that businesses are open as normal.
'So I just want to insist that businesses are open as normal, as if people are not aware, then those businesses could really struggle over the six weeks.'
On their Facebook page the OBCE has posted some advice for people visiting the area.
To access shops along Bridge Road where the works are, they suggest parking on the Boulevard, Everitts Park or Crescent car parks and walking over the footbridge to reach them.
Car parking is free for one hour on Crescent car park, as well as free parking on the roadside of that section of Bridge Road.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Broads pub once visited by Chelsea players shuts for good
- 3 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 4 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
- 5 Norfolk's oldest woman dies, aged 110
- 6 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 7 Body found in woods near Mildenhall
- 8 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 9 Fury at bikers' who rode over dead seal pup
- 10 Fire crews called to house fire in north Norfolk
The works will see the gas mains replaced between the Shell service station in Normanston Drive, passing by Oulton Broad North railway station, to Oulton Broad library in Bridge Road.
The rest of Bridge Road, Saltwater Way and the Oulton Broad bridge are open as normal and the area around the Broad and Everitts Park is unaffected and can be accessed as normal from Saltwater Way.
For those who want to get to north Lowestoft, they will need to use the Bascule Bridge.
Mr Page said: 'As with any major road works there will be some delays at times, and crossing Lowestoft Bascule is very slow at peak times, but getting into Oulton Broad to enjoy the shops, cafes, etc is very easy and very possible.
Roadworks started on Monday on Bridge Road with a temporary one way system with the northbound lane closed.
Some businesses have seen a significant reduction in income, with one business reporting a 70pc drop in income on Monday.
For more information visit the Oulton Broad Community Enterprise Facebook page.