Community award presented to Beccles worker, volunteer and fundraiser
- Credit: Archant
A Beccles stalwart has been honoured with an award for his 'immense' involvement with events in the town.
Douglas Peck was presented with the Ivan Holmes Community Award at the Beccles and District Lions Club charter dinner.
Over the years he has been involved with Beccles Carnival and duck race, dog shows, variety shows, the Christmas lights and the town's popular teddy bears' picnics.
He also maintains the war memorial and prepares it every year prior to Remembrance Sunday.
He was described as 'a true worker, volunteer and fundraiser for the local community.'
You may also want to watch:
The award is made in memory of the late Ivan Holmes, who was a member of the Lions for over 35 years. It was presented by Mr Holmes' wife Mandy for the second year.
She said: 'The intention of this award is to act as an inspirational and motivational legacy, to continue Ivan's good work. I know the club received lots of nominations, and one nominee stood out amongst them all, and that was Douglas.
- 1 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 2 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 3 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 4 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 5 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 6 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 7 Revealed: The cheapest towns in Norfolk to buy a home
- 8 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 9 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 10 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
'I know Ivan and Douglas had been involved with many projects in Beccles over the years and I do feel the local community benefited from it. I would also like to acknowledge and thank every other nominee for their work within the local area, which of course is all voluntary.'
Mr Peck also received £250 from the club to be given to his nominated charity - The May Centre in Beccles.
He said: 'It is completely unexpected. Ivan and myself have been involved with many projects over the years and I can say I have not known a better Lion serving his local community. I feel very honoured and moved by this award, because Ivan was such a presence within the community and to even be considered for the award is an honour let alone, receive it. It's very encouraging to see so many people doing so much for the community, long may it continue. I will treasure this award.'
Anyone who would like to make a nomination for next year's award is welcome to get in touch with the club.
Call secretary Janet Ramsden on 01502 514284 or visit www.beccleslions.org.uk.