Commemorative tree planted to celebrate Scouts centenary
- Credit: Archant
A century of scouting was celebrated when all three sections of a Lowestoft group gathered together to mark the occasion.
Members of the 4th Lowestoft (St Margaret's) Scouts assembled at their headquarters at the junction of Marham Road and Rotterdam Road in the town on Saturday, November 11 for an afternoon of special activities.
They were joined by families and ex-scouts who shared memories and viewed old log books and photographs on display.
Group Scout Leader Christine Stacey said: 'Approximately 80 youngsters from all three sections: Beavers, Cubs and Scouts came and joined in the fun.
'A commemorative English Walnut tree was planted and a time capsule containing a copy of the scouting magazine, a group T-shirt, a commemorative 100 year badge, a set of 'world', 'district' and 'county' badges and a 4th Lowestoft 'flash' and a copy of the Lowestoft Journal, which featured the planned celebration, was also buried to mark the 100 years.
You may also want to watch:
A group photo of the present youngsters and their leaders was taken before Assistant Scout Leader Harry Emmerson had his head shaved to raise funds for the group and for the mental health charity MIND.
A campfire singsong around the fire-pit, led by former member Shirley Hoad, was followed by hot dogs for everyone and a fireworks finale to round off a memorable celebration of 100 years of the 4th Lowestoft Scout Group.'
- 1 Boss who boasted of lavish lifestyle is bankrupt with £100k debts
- 2 Police action over 'slavery' flag flying in Norwich garden
- 3 'It was divine' - Why this seafood platter is receiving rave reviews online
- 4 Garage owner has five months to clear site or face jail
- 5 'Shocked' couple almost given wrong Covid jab
- 6 ‘You’re trespassing’ - What happened when we gave Matt Hancock QEH petition
- 7 Owners put Tudor mansion wedding venue up for sale for £3.9m
- 8 Firefighters ripping out thatch to stop house fire spreading
- 9 Safety review promised as cyclist killed in crash is named
- 10 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021