Colourful costume collection and vintage outfits in the limelight at Aylsham charity auction
- Credit: Archant
From cavemen to Cleopatra and Prince Charming to Popeye, fancy dress fans are in for a treat when a huge range of theatrical costumes go under the hammer for charity.
The huge collection of pieces is being put up for sale by Cawston fashion aficionado Sandra Branch-Burbridge, who used to run a theatrical dress and dancewear business.
The mum of two is auctioning her wonderfully varied wardrobe to raise awareness of Scleroderma, a rare autoimmune disease that effects the skin and internal organs, which she suffers from.
Money raised through the sale will be split between the Scleroderma Society and the Royal Free Hospital in London, where the 47-year-old is receiving treatment.
Ms Branch-Burbridge, who studied fashion and history of costume, started her business in 1991 from a small spare bedroom, but her collection soon grew and she took on a shop in Cromer.
You may also want to watch:
Sadly with the rise in small business rates she could not keep it on and after a spell in Aylsham, she took the 'hard decision' to shut up shop and put her collection into storage.
She then focused solely on her other great passion of teaching ballet, but as her health continued to deteriorate she also had to close her school.
- 1 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 2 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 3 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 4 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 5 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Woman hit with £900 vet bill after dog gets 'stoned' on park cannabis stash
- 8 Potential for 30C today – but two days of thunderstorms on the way
- 9 Excitement as city pub reopens after 18-month closure
- 10 Holiday homes bid for site of former landmark hotel
'I am pleased to be able to help my sons with the enormous task of sorting through the costume collection and preparing it for sale, whilst I'm still just about able to do so,' she said.
As well as fabulous fancy dress, clothes lovers will also be able to snap up a range of retro items as Ms Branch-Burbridge has teamed up with Carol Wisby - owner of Aylsham's No.5 Dress Agency, Vintage and Vogue - to hold the auction.
Ms Branch-Burbridge said: 'Buyers can expect a wide variety, with fancy dress for their next party or indeed local carnivals, which was always a busy time of year for me, through to national costumes, historical/period costumes and vintage/retro clothing.
'There will something for everyone with guide prices ranging from 50p upwards of £50.'
The auction is being held at Aylsham town hall on August 10. Bidding will start at 10am, with viewing from 8am.