Collection set up for Wrentham gas blast family
Villagers are rallying to support a family whose home was virtually destroyed by a massive gas explosion by organising a collection for them.
Local people say that Lynn Brown, 50, and her daughter Lucy, 20, have lost everything after the blast ripped through the property in Chapel Road, Wrentham, near Southwold, on Christmas Eve.
Wrentham Parish Council clerk Angela Day said residents are raising funds for the family with collection points established at Fancy That fish and chip shop and the post office in the village High Street.
'She has lost everything and local people would like to do something to help,' she said.
'We are a small community and everybody looks after each other in this village. Lynn has lived here all her life.'
A spokesman for gas network operator National Grid said it would probably be Wednesday before a structural engineer can establish whether it is safe for one of their investigators to enter the semi-detached home which lies in ruin.
A police officer was at the scene today, along with a contractor who was boarding up a door to make the property secure.
- 1 'God's waiting room' - Norfolk town is country's pensioner hotspot
- 2 Former vicarage set in one acre is up for sale - and it needs some TLC
- 3 RAF flypast to pass through Norfolk's skies
- 4 Thetford homes left with 'significant' damage following blaze
- 5 Star-studded line-up announced for free Norfolk festival
- 6 Norfolk's 100 Jubilee street parties revealed
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Person banned from driving arrested after crashing into pedestrian crossing
- 9 World record? 24 ducklings spotted waddling through Norfolk village
- 10 George Ezra to host album launch show in Norwich
Local people have spoken of their shock after the blast ripped through the property
The explosion tore the roof off the house and destroyed the upstairs bedrooms.
Mrs Brown was flown to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital by air ambulance and later transferred to the specialist burns unit at Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford where she is said to be 'comfortable'.
Her daughter was taken by land ambulance to the same hospital and discharged over Christmas.