Climate change protest at RAF Mildenhall
Peace protesters are today staging a demonstration outside an American airbase in Suffolk.Members of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) will be outside RAF Mildenhall from 11.
Peace protesters are today staging a demonstration outside an American airbase in Suffolk.
Members of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND) will be outside RAF Mildenhall from 11.30am to 2pm for a climate change protest.
The group, some of whom will be dressed as military aircraft, want to raise awareness of the large CO2 emissions created by US Air Force planes.
CND says a single KC135 plane uses 44 gallons of fuel per minute, emitting approximately the same amount of CO2 as 2,000 cars. The planes are used for air-to-air refuelling and can carry 30,000 gallons of fuel - enough to drive a car over 30 times around the earth.
You may also want to watch:
One of the activists, Mell Harrison, 37, said “We are here to show that military aircraft are not only committing war crimes, but crimes against the planet. You very rarely hear about the vast amounts of CO2 emitted by the military and at a time when all should be accountable for their carbon footprint now is the time to put our efforts and resources into tackling climate change not fighting wars over oil resources.”
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 What might happen to former Debenhams store in city centre?
- 3 Couple fined £400 for digging up 8,000 Norfolk bluebells
- 4 Two Norfolk hotels named among the best in the country
- 5 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 6 Hundreds more trees on route of Norwich NDR have died
- 7 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 8 Life sentence for convicted rapist who attempted to murder Norfolk woman
- 9 BBC Autumnwatch returns to Norfolk for another season
- 10 'I remember shutting down' - Singer on cancer diagnosis at Norfolk hospital