City College Norwich team in the running to become Subway sandwich champions
- Credit: copyright: Archant 2013
A trio of City College Norwich students are facing the prospect of a nerve-wracking Dragon's Den style pitch this week in their bid to become regional sandwich champions.
The three students took a step closer to glory after being announced as finalist's of Subway's Design a Sub challenge.
The sandwich chain challenged young entrepreneurs from across the region to design and market a brand new six-inch sub for the competition, which has been running for four years.
The shortlisted City College Norwich team is made up of Cameron Dalton and Dennis Oakley, both 18, and 19-year-old Daniel McLeod.
The creative trio's unique creation has been named the 'Heart Warmer,' designed to be both tasty and healthy. The sandwich is made up of Hearty Italian bread, filled with chicken and bacon strips, light mayonnaise, lettuce, tomato and cucumber.
You may also want to watch:
The inventive team will pitch their idea to a panel at St Edmund's College, Cambridge, on Wednesday to see who will be crowned the eventual winner.
Julie Lawrence, programme manager at City College Norwich, said: 'We are so proud that our students have been shortlisted as finalists in the challenge. The team have worked really hard to create their Sub and it has been a great opportunity for them to put their business skills to the test. All of us at City College Norwich are looking forward to the final and we are rooting for our Heart Warmer team to win!'
- 1 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 2 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 3 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 4 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 5 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 6 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 7 A47 driver stopped in smashed up Vauxhall and failed drug test
- 8 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 9 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 10 Prince William, George and Charlotte start races at Sandringham
This year's competition received over 80 entries which have been whittled down to just six shortlisted entries.
The stakes are high, as the City College Norwich team and five other finalists are competing for the chance to see their Sub and marketing material launched in Subway stores across the region during February, as well as winning £1,000 worth of Amazon vouchers.
The team from Norwich will be competing against Northampton College, The King's School Peterborough, Thetford Academy, South Essex College and North Hertfordshire College.
Bob Moodliar, Subway brand entrepreneur, who sat on the judging panel to shortlist the designs said: 'We would like to thank all of the schools who entered this year's challenge, we have received some outstanding entries and it was a tough decision deciding who would make it to the final pitch. The six teams of finalists should be proud of their achievement in getting so far in the competition; it is a true testament to all of their hard work and creativity. We are looking forward to seeing their creative pitches at the judging day.'