Twenty fire crews called to thatched roof blaze in Suffolk village
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
Twenty fire crews have been called to a major fire at a thatched building this morning.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue were called to Church Lane, Thwaite shortly after 7.30am.
A spokesman for Suffolk fire and rescue said that the force was attending a two-storey thatched property and were using breathing apparatus and ladders to deal with the fire.
Crews from across Suffolk and a few appliances from over the border in Norfolk have been called to the scene.
David Briggs, who was born in the cottage but now lives next door, said it was sad to see the house he "treasures" in flames.
Mr Briggs said: "My wife looked out of the conservatory window and said to me there was smoke coming out of the chimney of the house."
Mr Briggs added his wife saw his neighbour trying to battle the flame with his garden hose.
- 1 Six North Norfolk beaches awarded blue flag status for summer 2021
- 2 Woman hurt in hit-and-run crash near school
- 3 Disabled driver fined £60 for stopping to clean windscreen at hospital
- 4 City step up Skipp Spurs chase
- 5 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 6 Waiting game for parkrun lovers as one Norfolk event closes
- 7 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 8 Tax inspectors probe 240 furlough fraud cases in Norfolk and Suffolk
- 9 Man living in hotel after sewage floods bathroom in 'uninhabitable' flat
- 10 Pub ordered to pay £23.5k compensation to sacked disabled worker
"He had his hosepipe and was trying to spray his hosepipe onto the roof.
"I said it's such a shame as I treasure that old house, I was born there and now live next to it.
"But it will be restored. When it was listed, they said it was built in about 1664. It's full of old beams."