Church school in Thetford celebrates academy status
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
The only church school in Thetford is celebrating what is hoped will be an exciting new chapter in its history.
The Bishop's Church of England Primary School has just become an academy, having joined the Diocese of Norwich Education and Academies Trust.
Headteacher Dan Pickard said he was delighted about the school's new status, which means it is no longer overseen by Norfolk County Council.
Mr Pickard said: 'Being part of such a huge local authority means you can get a bit lost – we were one of more than 350 primary schools.
'Now we're one of less than 40 in the diocese academies trust, so we will be able to work much more closely with a group of other schools in a way that was not really possible before.
You may also want to watch:
'This is an opportunity to really develop that church school ethos.'
The school, which has about 400 pupils, is also building a new nursery, which should open in January.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 3 Housing firms slammed for removing trees and hedgerows 'in error'
- 4 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 5 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 6 Shock for Tories as they lose overall control of council
- 7 'Shocking destruction' - fury over removal of trees at walking spot
- 8 Woman left with bite wounds following dog attack
- 9 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 10 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
The aim is to have two classes for every year level at the school.
Bishop's was founded in 2009 by combining two schools which were there before.