Church prepares for final England group match in Lowestoft
- Credit: Nick Butcher
More than 60 people were part of an 'electric atmosphere' as the first England match was screened at a church in Lowestoft.
London Road Baptist Church hosted the match last Saturday (June 11) with a number of children and families attending the alcohol-free event.
After the match finished in a 1-1 draw, attention now turns to the next screening – which will take place on Monday as England face Slovakia (8pm kick off).
'A lot of families came along and another guy brought his dad who had never been to church before,' said Ashley Langner – head coach for the church football academy.
'There was such a brilliant atmosphere and everybody went crazy when we scored.
You may also want to watch:
'It was really enjoyable and we are now looking forward to Monday.'
At the first screening, held at the church on Kirkley Park Road, visitors enjoyed soft drinks and hot-dogs.
- 1 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 2 Delays on roads as petrol queues continue
- 3 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 4 Q&A: All you need to know about fuel shortages
- 5 Why has a golden dome appeared in this Norfolk town?
- 6 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 7 A11 to undergo 18 months of roadworks
- 8 Concern raised over work on anaerobic digestion plant on outskirts of village
- 9 Dramatic pictures as huge barn fire breaks out near coast
- 10 Weird Norfolk: Is Diss Mere the waterlogged crater of an extinct volcano?
A number of football themed skill video clips were also shown on the big screen during the interval.
'It was a fantastic turnout but I would love to see more on Monday night,' Mr Langner added.
'There was an electric atmosphere in the amazing venue – particularly when we dimmed the lights.
'We will continue to show the England evening matches if we progress in the tournament and we hope the numbers will swell.
'The fact we had no alcohol did not dampen things either.'