Christmas kicked off in Norwich as Santa switches on Castle Mall lights
- Credit: Archant
Snow drifted down onto families as the sound of Slade filled a shopping centre at a Christmas lights switch-on in Norwich.
To the delight of dozens of youngsters, Santa Claus swung by the Fine City to kick off the festive season at Castle Mall on Sunday afternoon.
Families jostled for a good view point from the railings, as special guests Catboy, Gekko and Owlette - from pre-school television series PJ Masks - and Heart FM Breakfast presenters Dave and Heidi kept youngsters occupied.
Joe and Emma Harding, from Costessey, were enjoying their long-running tradition of watching a lights switch-on - this time with eight-month-old daughter Gemma.
'We love coming to a switch-on every year, it really starts Christmas for us,' Mrs Harding said.
'This is the 10th year we've gone to one together and they've been all over Norfolk - but this one is obviously much more special.'
It was soon time for Santa to push the button - and glimmering bulbs lit up the shopping centre as Slade's iconic Merry Christmas Everybody boomed out of speakers.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 3 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 4 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 7 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 8 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 9 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
- 10 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
An illuminated reindeer and its sleigh were the display showpieces, suspended high above the crowds.
• Are you organising a Christmas event? Email firstname.lastname@example.org