Christmas is coming early to Thetford with Winter Wonderland
- Credit: David Brooks
A magical Christmas experience is coming to a market town this weekend.
Winter Wonderland in Thetford will see a host of seasonal family entertainments including – for the first time – an ice rink.
Centred around King's House Gardens, the celebrations on November 26 and 27 should be enough to get even the staunchest Christmas humbugs into a festive mood.
Winter Wonderland will open at 10am on Saturday, with the main attraction being an artificial ice rink on the tennis courts behind King's House.
A Georgian Father Christmas and his elf storyteller – provided by Ancient House Museum – will be setting up shop in the Coach House, open from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday.
You may also want to watch:
Each child is encouraged to write their letter to Santa and drop it into the letterbox in the Coach House. From Monday, November 28 the post box will be positioned at the front of King's House – all letters will receive a response before Christmas.
Another highlight will be a 'snow globe' – a covered bouncy castle filled with fake snowflakes, manned by volunteers from Keystone Development Trust.
- 1 Missing man found by off-duty police officer
- 2 £5m roadworks on A47 cause delays - and months more to come
- 3 Man jailed for 24 years for raping and sexually assaulting two girls
- 4 Three Norfolk hotels named among the best for romance in the UK
- 5 Village rounds on council over 'disgraceful' road resurfacing that covered cycle lanes and blocked drains
- 6 Man charged after cannabis factory and 300 plants found above pizza takeaway
- 7 Norfolk campsite voted third best in UK
- 8 Road cleared after three-vehicle collision on A47
- 9 Early hours arrests as part of 'ongoing police investigation'
- 10 Pub boss struggling to recruit ahead of lockdown lifting
The Salvation Army, Charles Burrell Centre and RSPB will be among the wonderland's stallholders, and there will also be a soup kitchen.
The weekend's festivities are preceded by Thetford's Christmas lights switch on Friday evening at 6.15pm.
Ancient House Museum will be hosting a Victorian Christmas Mystery from 5pm to 8pm and there will be a craft and gift fair and Santa's Grotto in the Guildhall.
Winter Wonderland runs from 10am to 4pm on Saturday and Sunday. Tickets for the paid-for attractions will be available at King's House. Ice rink £5 per person, Santa's Grotto or snow globe entry £2.50 (tickets to the Grotto also give free entry to Ancient House).
Tickets will also be available at the Christmas lights switch-on.