Children can enjoy summer of sports and games with Breckland Council programme
- Credit: Archant
A programme of summer activities gets underway today to give youngsters in Breckland a chance to take part in a range of sports and games during the school holidays.
Breckland Council's Rural Sports Programme will give 5 to 11-year-olds opportunities to play sports including dodgeball, kwik cricket, rounders and Danish longball.
The programme will also feature traditional playground games including duck, duck, goose, British bulldog, parachutes and sleeping lions.
Lynda Turner, Breckland's executive member for place, said: 'Our Rural Sports Programme aims to help children stay active over the long summer holidays and give them regular opportunities to socialise with youngsters of similar ages.
'The council is committed to tackling childhood obesity and encouraging cohesive communities and this activity programme contributes to both of those objectives.'
The sessions, which will be delivered by Aspire PE, will run Monday to Friday between July 21 and September 2. They will be held in Mundford, Watton, Swanton Morley, Necton, Attleborough, Great Hockham, Lyng and Bawdeswell.
Each session (one each morning and one each afternoon) will be two hours long and costs £3 per child. Advance booking is not required. Children who attend 12 or more sessions during the six week course will be eligible for a free t-shirt.
- 1 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 4 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 5 Banksy work removed and put in museum due to local sensitivity
- 6 Police on hand as anti-vaccine protesters gather in city
- 7 Investigations continue after woman on mobility scooter assaults man
- 8 Hope for WASPI women as MPs back compensation call
- 9 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 10 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
More information at www.breckland.gov.uk/holidayactivities.