Chattels department store to close doors for final time
- Credit: Archant
A department store which was to become part of the legacy of a Norfolk businessman is set to close its doors for the final time.
Chattels of Dereham made the announcement today (Tuesday October 23) that it would be shutting shop in three weeks time.
The idea of the shop was very much the vision of businessman Basil Todd who bought the former Palmers department store in 2014 and began its complete renovation and transformation.
But he was unable to see it come to fruition as he died after losing a cancer battle three years ago.
Since then, his daughters Debbie Bales and Bridgette Hall took over his business affairs and, determined to see his final project through to completion, opened Chattels in October 2015.
The pair worked to transform the former Palmers store, in Norwich Road, into their father's vision while also spending time with him during his cancer battle. It opened a year after its predecessor closed.
The closure means job losses of around 15. The staff have been informed of the decision, including the cafe workers.
You may also want to watch:
The owners made the announcement by putting up a poster on its store fronts.
It read: 'It is with regret that after three years trading in Dereham, due to the current climate in high end retail we have made the decision to close Chattels. This combined with some of our instore concessions withdrawing from the marker has led to the decision.
- 1 Moment delivery driver walks through shop window
- 2 Two Norfolk destinations named among most scenic in UK
- 3 Martin Lewis: How to get your hands on £280 if you worked from home
- 4 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 5 Giles Orpen-Smellie elected as police and crime commissioner
- 6 Village pub's burgers are a hit for our reviewer as eating out returns
- 7 Five rare birds that have been spotted in Norfolk
- 8 Farmers hope to unlock 'huge potential' of cannabis crops
- 9 What can't open in Norfolk on May 17 - and why
- 10 End of an era as Debenhams closes in Norwich
'The store will continue to trade with a closing down sale over the next three weeks closing it's doors on Saturday November 10 2018.
'We would like to thank our customers for their loyalty and custom over the past three years.
'We are still committed to the town of Dereham and are working hard to find a new tenant for the store.'
Mrs Hall said they had already received some interest hoped a new tenant would be found quickly.
How do you feel about the closure of Chattels of Dereham? Email reporter Donna-Louise Bishop at firstname.lastname@example.org.