Charity walk on Sandringham Estate to raise money and support for guide dogs
- Credit: Ian Burt
A charity walk for to raise awareness and money to support guide dogs is set to be held on the Sandringham Estate.
The annual event, organised by the King's Lynn branch of the Guide Dogs for the Blind Association, will this year feature a quiz on different dog breeds.
Gill Southgate, chairman of the branch, said: 'Until you lose your sight I don't think you appreciate just how much a guide dog means. It would be much harder for me to get to work without one.
'The dogs give me my independence. They give me so much I just want to help the association as much as I can.'
Mrs Southgate, who has been a guide dog owner for 34 years and is on her fifth dog, added the animals cost around £50,000 each to train and look after throughout their lives.
You may also want to watch:
She said the walk - which follows either a one or two mile route - was also an opportunity to tell people about how those who rely on guide dogs have to work in 'partnership' with them.
According to the chairman, this year Ashwell-based Rutland Willows will be creating a garden for the charity at the Sandringham Flower Show.
- 1 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 2 Norfolk fuel update: Football match called off as crisis reaches day five
- 3 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 4 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 6 Police probe launched after video shows officer kick out
- 7 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
- 8 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 9 Nine ways to make your fuel last and avoid joining petrol station queues
- 10 Dad who threw daughter into cot cleared of murder
Participants can meet at the Guide Dog gazebo close to the visitor centre from 11am on May 22. Donations to the association will be welcomed.
Do you have a story about raising money? Email firstname.lastname@example.org