Charity challenging Norfolk businesses to take one million steps
- Credit: Archant
A national charity encouraging people to improve their health and wellbeing is challenging businesses across Norfolk to take part in its One Million Steps campaign.
More than 70 employers across East Anglia have already signed up to the Healthy Ambitions challenge which aims to encourage people to get outdoors and walk every day.
Chief executive, Richard Powell, emphasised the importance of daily activity. He said: 'Just 30 minutes of walking a day can reduce body fat, boost the immune system, aid digestion, and can even reduce the risk from cancer.'
The campaign begins on Monday 16 September and a special leader board will go live online that day.
One business taking part is the Norwich-based branch of Hansells Solicitors and Financial Advisers.
You may also want to watch:
'Delighted' to be supporting the challenge is managing partner, Roger Holden. He said: 'Staff taking part in the challenge have already received their pedometers and water bottles and I am sure they will all be supporting each other throughout the month.
'Many of our employees across our six county offices already walk to and from work and this initiative may inspire others to join them.'
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 8 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 9 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 10 Homes evacuated in village after man threatens criminal damage
Together teams of five people can cover one million steps over the four week period and to reach the target each team member would need to walk at least 10,000 steps on five days of the week, for four weeks.
The winning team will be presented with a wii fit plus games console, balance board and two games as well as the title of Healthy Ambitions One Million Steps Challenge Winners 2013.
Registration is now open and the fee is £10 per person which will go to supporting the Healthy Ambitions Early Birds Breakfast Clubs to give children a healthy start to their day.
• Follow the challenge via Twitter #OMS or @HealthyAmbition or via the Facebook page Healthy Ambitions.
• For more information about the One Million Steps campaign, the charity or to view the challenge leader board visit www.healthyambitions.org.uk/onemillionsteps.