Charity baker prepares for Armed Forces Day fundraiser as he bids to reach £100,000 milestone
- Credit: Nick Butcher
Charity baker David Brown is hoping to smash the £10,000 mark with his Armed Forces Day fundraiser.
Mr Brown, who has been selling cakes and chutneys with his late wife Pat for the past eight years, celebrated raising £50,000 for Help for Heroes last July.
And now he has got his sights set on the £100,000 milestone, vowing to continue fundraising in his wife's honour.
Since last year's Armed Forces Day event, which is held annually at his home in Burgh St Peter, a further £9,000 has been raised for the charity.
And Mr Brown will be throwing open his doors again next Saturday, June 24, from 8am to 3pm, in the hope of boosting it to £10,000.
You may also want to watch:
He said: 'This is the highlight of the year for us, and it was always Pat's favourite one.
'A lot of my regular customers from Beccles come as well as people from the village and they have a cup of tea, a cake and a natter.
- 1 Person pulled from car as rain lashes region
- 2 Road closed due to accident after car reportedly flips on to its roof
- 3 Teenager who lost driving licence receives surprise in post
- 4 Seven fire engines called to blaze on housing estate
- 5 ‘It went up like a matchstick’ - Neighbour’s horror at blaze
- 6 Dad's heartache over daughter's suicide and his fight to help others
- 7 7 of the prettiest streets in Norfolk
- 8 Rovers return? New landlords relaunch village pub with parties and Sunday lunches for dogs
- 9 Caroline Flack's mum to open 'grief café' in Norfolk
- 10 Huge blast proof bunker with acre of land for sale by auction
'We usually raise about £1,000 and it would be great to do that again.
'Everyone is welcome, the more the merrier.'
The couple were inspired to start fundraising through their daughter Sally Williams, who has served in the army for more than 20 years. After being so moved by the soldiers they met, they decided to support the charity, which helps wounded military personnel.
Their first Armed Forces Day event in 2009 raised more than £300, and since then it has become a highlight on the village calendar.
As well as chutneys and cakes – including Pat's signature lemon drizzle, fruit cake and banana bread – there will also be a tea tent, a raffle with prizes donated by Beccles businesses, books, jigsaws and a jumble sale.
Mr Brown also holds dozens of other local stalls during the year, and will be at Sotterley Fete the following day on Sunday, June 25.
Anyone who would like to attend the event is welcome to turn up at The Owls, in Mill Road, Burgh St Peter.
? To stay up-to-date with Mr Brown's fundraising, search for Dad's Help for Heroes Page on Facebook.