Celebrations as Norwich’s original mall enters its 25th year
- Credit: Archant
It was the product of 13 years of design and planning - and four years of construction. And Norwich's original mall celebrated entering its 25th year over the weekend.
Castle Mall opened its doors in September 1993 and prompted international interest in its multi-level underground setup. Some of the shops included in the original floor plan still call it home today, including Boots, Argos, and Vision Express.
Nowadays it boasts the Vue cinema and a new set of restaurant units have been built, in a development known as The Terrace. However, it is still not clear when these may open. On Saturday children were treated to party bags and cake - and got to meet Peppa Pig.
Centre manager Robert Bradley said: 'Having recently returned to the centre, I can see how far it has come over the decades and I am so excited to celebrate and then get cracking with more fantastic events to continue to stamp Castle Mall as a huge part of Norwich.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 2 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
- 5 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 6 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 7 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 8 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 9 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 10 Two men charged with murder of 23-year-old