Celebrations as Norwich’s original mall enters its 25th year
- Credit: Archant
It was the product of 13 years of design and planning - and four years of construction. And Norwich's original mall celebrated entering its 25th year over the weekend.
Castle Mall opened its doors in September 1993 and prompted international interest in its multi-level underground setup. Some of the shops included in the original floor plan still call it home today, including Boots, Argos, and Vision Express.
Nowadays it boasts the Vue cinema and a new set of restaurant units have been built, in a development known as The Terrace. However, it is still not clear when these may open. On Saturday children were treated to party bags and cake - and got to meet Peppa Pig.
Centre manager Robert Bradley said: 'Having recently returned to the centre, I can see how far it has come over the decades and I am so excited to celebrate and then get cracking with more fantastic events to continue to stamp Castle Mall as a huge part of Norwich.'
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Two men in critical condition as multiple people stabbed
- 2 Fire crews rush to a crash near Norfolk village
- 3 Secluded Broads farmhouse in almost 11 acres goes up for sale
- 4 Police swoop on Norwich address
- 5 'Like a horror film' - Friends left terrified after being followed in woods
- 6 Owner of popular bakery rushed into intensive care 120 miles from home
- 7 Plans for seven new supermarkets in Norfolk - but where will they be?
- 8 Police called after elderly, sick seal attacked with stones
- 9 Asda and Amazon urgently recall items due to safety concerns
- 10 Norwich cat torturer who murdered pensioner ‘planned to carry on killing’