Celebration of carnival in Norwich
- Credit: submitted
People are being invited to take part in a celebration of carnival in Norwich next month.
Carnage! – a carnival heritage event – is at Open on April 13 and will be a fun-packed day of free workshops, music, food, dance and film for all ages. The event is to celebrate the work of the Carnival Archive Project, which has captured the rich heritage of carnival in an online library, and the launch of Norwich and Norfolk Community Arts' (NORCA) new semi-professional carnival company to give local carnival artists and enthusiasts more opportunities to work together.
The Carnage! workshops are inspired by interpreting archives, oral history, carnival dancing, making costumes and more, and people are being encouraged to book places on them in advance of the event in April. Cathie Davies, from NORCA, said: 'Carnage! is going to be an exciting mixture of heritage and carnival. Whether you want to get involved in a workshop, listen to music, learn about the heritage of carnival or eat amazing food, there is something for everyone. There is such a rich tradition of carnival in the county and this is a fantastic opportunity to celebrate it.'
Carnage! is on Saturday, April 13 at Open, in Bank Plain, 10am-4.30pm. Entry is free. For more on Carnage and the workshops visit www.norcaarts.co.uk
To book places on the free workshops contact Cathie Davies on 01603 760529, or firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 8 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 9 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched