CCTV footage released in new bid to trace would-be armed robbers in Lowestoft
DETECTIVES have released CCTV images of two men they want to speak to following an attempted armed robbery at a shop in Lowestoft.
Two men, one armed with a knife, entered the R and D Newsagents in Norwich Road about 7.15pm on Sunday night (March 18), threatened a member of staff and demanded cash.
Two members of staff in the shop at the time were told to lie on the floor and one of the offenders went behind the counter to open the till. However the staff resisted and bravely went to fight back and both would-be-robbers fled the store empty-handed.
Three men - a 20-year-old, 23-year-old and a 29-year-old - who were arrested shortly after the incident, will now face no further police action on this matter and officers are continuing their inquiries to trace those responsible.
The two men detectives are keen to trace were wearing quite distinctive clothing when they entered the shop and police are asking anyone who may recognise them or anyone who may have seen them in the area to come forward.
Both men wore light coloured scarves partially over their faces, with one wearing a two-tone jacket with dark shoulders and hood and light below and light coloured three-quarter shorts/trousers and the other wearing an Adidas hooded top with three stripes down each arm.
Det Insp Darrell Skuse said: 'While we would not encourage members of the public to take matters into their own hands, the shop workers have clearly been very brave in turning the tables on the offenders, forcing them to flee empty-handed.
- 1 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in the UK
- 2 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 3 Should cars be banned from Norwich's steepest hill?
- 4 Seven Sprowston neighbours scoop £30,000 lottery win
- 5 Meet the man behind a morbid new craze
- 6 Car boot sale to return after five years with up to 200 pitches
- 7 Asteroid bigger than any building on Earth to be visible in Norfolk skies
- 8 Custom-built six-bedroom home with indoor slide on the market for £900,000
- 9 A47 reopens after serious crash
- 10 'Man with a van' fined for dumping waste in village
'We believe someone will know who those involved are – or may well recognise them from the clothing they were wearing at the time – and we would ask anyone who has information that may assist to call us as soon as they can. We would also like to hear from anyone who may have been in the area around this time who may have seen the men.'
• Anyone with information is asked to call Lowestoft CID on 101.