Attempted theft on town’s only remaining cashpoint
- Credit: Chris Clarke
A mid Norfolk town’s only remaining cash machine has been left out of service after being smashed by a group of thieves who tried to steal money from inside it.
The incident happened outside the Spar store on Ollands Road, in Reepham, at around 1am on Monday, March 16.
It is the third time in eight years an ATM has been targeted in the town based between Bawdeswell and Aylsham. Back in 2012, a raid was carried out at the HSBC bank, although that branch is now closed.
Then in April 2018, less than two years ago, thieves used a JCB to steal the cash point from the side of the Post Office in Market Place. The JCB was burned out and left abandoned in the middle of the road.
Although the owners of Johnson’s of Reepham were able to keep trading, an official reopening event took place in August 2019 after extensive work took place to repair the damage.
And while residents and visitors to the town are still able to get money out from the Post Office, the recent attempted theft means they are now unable to use the village’s sole remaining ATM.
Reepham Town Council chairman, Les Paterson, said: “I suspect a lot of people are paying by card anyway at the moment but not having the ATM will still have an impact on the town - they are very, very vulnerable in the town.”
You may also want to watch:
Officers are now investigating the attempted theft.
A spokesperson for the police said: “Police are investigating the attempted theft of an ATM machine outside the Spar Store on Ollands Road in Reepham.
- 1 Spectacle of light with 'Norfolk's biggest ever firework display' announced
- 2 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 3 Petrol stations close nationally as HGV driver crisis worsens
- 4 Rare Airbus Beluga XL spotted over Norfolk
- 5 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 6 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 7 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 8 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 9 Main road reopens more than six hours after 'serious' crash
- 10 Harley-Davidson motorcyclist dies in A134 crash
“Officers were called to reports of a car containing up to five people acting suspiciously in the area [at the time].
“It’s believed they had attempted to steal the cash machine and made off before police arrived at the scene.
“The cash machine was damaged as a result.”
A representative for the Spar store branch declined to comment.
- Enquiries are ongoing and anyone with information should contact Norfolk Police on 101 quoting incident number nine on Monday, March 16 2020.