Cash plea to help restored Henry Blogg boat return home to Cromer

The Q,J and J fishing boat which used to belong Henry Blogg. The front section of the hull has been

The Q,J and J fishing boat which used to belong Henry Blogg. The front section of the hull has been restored by members of the Q,J and J Preservation Society at Stalham's Museum of the Broads. Pictured is Julia Sheppard who is the daughter of the boat's last private owner, David Stone. Also pictured are Ivor Broughton (centre) and Will Cox (left) who restored the boat. Picture: MARK BULLIMORE

Restoration work on a last link with hero lifeboatman Henry Blogg is almost complete.

Henry Blogg's fishing boat the QJ and J before restoration. Picture: SUBMITTED

Henry Blogg's fishing boat the QJ and J before restoration. Picture: SUBMITTED - Credit: Archant

But those fighting to save Blogg's fishing boat the QJ and J need more cash to help bring it back to his home town of Cromer where it will go on public display.

Volunteers at the Museum of the Broads, Sutton Staithe, have spent the past eight or nine months working on a 10ft-long bow section of the boat as the condition of the rest was too poor to save.

Duncan Abel, spokesman for the Cromer and Sheringham QJ and J Preservation Society, said the skilled team of about half a dozen restorers had done a 'superb job' and, bar the boat's name being added, the work was virtually complete.

But it had soaked up cash raised for the project. Now approximately £3,500 was needed to make a stainless steel cradle in which to transport and display the QJ and J.

The interior of Henry Blogg's fishing boat the QJ and J after years of neglect. Picture: SUBMITTED

The interior of Henry Blogg's fishing boat the QJ and J after years of neglect. Picture: SUBMITTED - Credit: Archant

And it could also cost up to £2,500 for a crane and transport to take her from the museum to her final resting place, behind the bronze bust of Henry Blogg, in Cromer's North Lodge Park.

QJ and J is a 'hoveller', bigger than a standard crab boat and capable of fishing for herring further offshore.

Most Read

It had been used by Blogg between 1931 and 1937 but was originally built for his stepfather, John James Davies, and was named after Davies' grandchildren Queenie, Jack and Jimmy. Queenie was Blogg's daughter.

After several later owners, the boat lay neglected and rotting for years.

Henry Blogg

Henry Blogg - Credit: Archant

'This is a one-off opportunity to help save an incredible piece of Cromer history,' said Mr Abel.

'This is the only boat that Blogg owned that remains - the last tangible link with the most decorated RNLI lifeboatman to the present day. Blogg is an absolute icon for Cromer and north Norfolk.'

If you want to donate cash or can help with transport and/or a crane, contact Julie Chance at Cromer Town Council 01263 512254.

Are you involved with a heritage project? Contact alex.hurrell@archant.co.uk

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter